The Office for National Statistics (ONS) has published its latest UK immigration figures. The ONS’ Migration Statistics Quarterly Report (MSQR) is a summary of the latest quarterly release of official international migration statistics. The report reveals a statistically significant increase in migration from 236,000 in the year ending March 2014 and notes the highest net migration on record.
The key parts of the ONS’ report are as follows:
- Net long-term international migration has increased in the year ending March 2015 (up 94,000 from year ending March 2014)
- Immigration has increased in the year ending March 2015 (up 84,000)
- Emigration has decreased in the year ending 2015 (down 9,000)
- Net migration of EU citizens increased to 183,000 (up 53,000 from the year ending March 2014)
- Net migration of non-EU citizens increased to 196,000 (up 39,000)
- Asylum applications increased by 10% in the year ending 2015 (23,515)